Try this simply divine, moist strawberry cake recipe from scratch. Some like to refer this to the Southern strawberry cake recipe or jello cake.
This simple cake recipe is good for two 8″ or 9″ pans. Remember homemade strawberry cake has less sugar and preservatives than commercial strawberry cake box mixes
Bake time is approx 40-45 minutes. Check baking progress about 37 minutes in to avoid over-baking. Also, watch my YouTube demo for exact preparations steps.
Don’t wanna big strawberry cake?? See the ingredient list below for two 6″ cakes.
Begin by preheating oven to 350 degree.
Coat the bottom on your pan with shortening, top with a parchment round and baking spray with flour. I would highly recommend using grade AA or A unsalted butter, such as Land O’ Lake. Measure all ingredients accurately and bring the butter and eggs to room temperature.
1. Combine the packet of strawberry Jello
2. Scramble the egg(s).
3. Thoroughly mix the flour, salt and baking powder with a wire whisk before sifting them. This will ensure that the ingredients are evenly distributed throughout the batter. I prefer to sift my dry ingredients onto parchment paper because it’s easier to divide the mixture into three portions using a bench scraper.
4. Kitchen Aid mixers are the creme de la creme of mixers, but they are also more expensive. Using a hand-held mixer will give you similar results, but more careful attention is required during the mixing process. If using a hand-held mixer, mix on medium to high.
5. Creaming the butter:
Place the butter/shortening in your mixing bowl, using the paddle attachment beat the fat on low-speed. Once the butter and shortening is incorporated,slowly drizzle the sugar/jello mixture . Once the sugar and fat are blended, cream the mixture at a moderate speed until the mixture is light and fluffy. This process may take anywhere from 4-6 minutes. The consistency of the sugar/butter should be similar to marshmallow fluff and will also lighten in color. I left the youtube clip(s) normal speed, normally I increase the film speed. However, this was purposely done to illustrate the importance of creaming the fat and sugar.
6. Add the vanilla extract
7. Slowly begin to drizzle the egg (s) and beat on low speed until the eggs are absorbed into the mixture. This will take anywhere from 2-4 minutes depending on your mixer.
8. Stop mixing and thoroughly scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl to ensure even mixing.
9. Alternate between the dry and wet ingredients. Begin by adding a third of the dry (flour,salt,baking powder) mixing just until blended, then add 1/2 the milk and blend on low speed. Stop the mixer and thoroughly scrap down the bowl to ensure even mixing. Add the 2nd portion of the dry ingredients and mix on low speed for about 30 seconds, stop and scrap the bowl. Add the remaining portion of milk and on low speed mix for another 20 seconds or so. Stop the mixer;scrap the bowl thoroughly before adding the last batch of dry ingredients. Add the last portion of the dry ingredients and mix on low speed just until it’s blended. It’s important not to over-mix or it may cause the development of gluten in the strawberry cake, which will give the cake a tough texture.
10. Equally divide your batter among your pans and place them in the center rack of the oven. Allow enough space in between the cakes for proper circulation. Bake for 30-35 for two 6″ cakes, and 40-45 minutes for two 8″ or 9″ cakes (check the cake 27 minutes in to avoid over-baking. Cake is done when a wooden pick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
11. Allow cakes to cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes before turning them out.
12. Cake must cool completely before frosting.
HOMEMADE CAKE RECIPES ARE THE BEST! diy how to make